Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

jmcquown wrote:

> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
> about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
> want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
> everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
> is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Right you are Jill. A nice prime rib is a treat on its own. A
nice big one like that should yield lots of juices to make lots
of great gravy. Personally. I would prefer roast potatoes to
mashed, and they are less last minute work. Yorkshire pudding is
always nice with roast beef. Have a few vegetables on the side
and some nice fresh bread or rolls and you have a great dinner
ready to go.
As for condiments, some people like horseradish with roast beef.
I have always preferred chilli sauce.