Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravenlynne[_1_] ravenlynne[_1_] is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

jmcquown wrote:
> laurie wrote:
>>> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of
>>> that "I
>>> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so
>>> irritates me about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces
>>> required unless you want to; just vegetables with butter, salt &
>>> pepper. I often wonder why everyone thinks holiday dishes have to
>>> be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself is very nice; simplicity should
>>> accompany it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My
>> kitchen isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the
>> sink and on the stovetop.
>>
>> laurie

> My kitchen is a matchbox. You should let the prime rib roast set for about
> 10-15 minutes (tented under foil) on a board next to the stove before you
> slice it. Steam the veggies on the stovetop while that's happening. Maybe
> heat some pre-bought dinner rolls in the already hot oven at the same time.
> Slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Spoon the steamed veggies
> into serving dishes. Put the rolls on a plate or in a basket. Set out some
> butter. Don't worry about the dishes in your sink.
>
> Jill

About the tented with foil thing:

I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
curious.

--
Ignorance isn't just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy
- The Dresden Files