Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
> rib. We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be
> doing mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else
> to do with it as far as side dishes.

(snippage)
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them
> skimp on the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that
> department. But nothing overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Jill