Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

"laurie" > wrote in message
news:GcMdh.3263$ne3.923@trndny03...
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
> mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with
> it as far as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get
> stressed out about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3
> days leading into Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as
> possible. Preferably make some things before the 21st and freeze if
> possible. I have a few ideas but none of them seem like they'd compliment
> the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe for chicken broccoli and ziti but is
> that too overhwhelming with the main meal? Should I just do some sort of
> broccoli/cheese casserole? That doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something.
> I'd prefer to do heat and serve things - meaning no steaming on the
> stovetop that day- if possible. No green bean casseroles because a)
> neither my husband or I like it and b) I know none of you would help me if
> i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But
> nothing overwhelming, please!

I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little rosemary
and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies, I
serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels sprouts.
Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of course, freshly
made Yorkshire puddings.

The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.

Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You won't
get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon wine to
deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it coats the
back of a spoon.

Paul