Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie Wilson Debbie Wilson is offline

Default Cardamom replacement question

sandi > wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?

I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom, and discovered
that it's because it very rapidly loses its aroma and flavour once in
the ground form. Can you buy whole cardamom pods locally? If so, then
take about 20 or so of these, crack open the pods and put the little
black seeds inside into a pestle and mortar, discarding the green pod
cases. Then you can grind up the seeds and have fresh cardamom powder.
It is a beautiful spice and the fresh ground seeds are totally different
to using the whole pods in things such as Indian cookery.

HTH

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com