Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default foil on bottom of oven?

skyhooks wrote:

> > Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
> > easier?

> Why wouldn't it be safe?

I have a faint recollection of my Maytag booklet advising against
using foil.
Yep... just checked the manual ..... do not use oven liners of
any type. It does say that you can use a little bit of foil to
catch drips but also says that they can reflect too much heat,
can cause problems with heat circulation can can cause damage to
burners and seals.

>Instead of foil, which is rather flimsy, I buy
> disposable "oven liners" that are made of similar stuff like the
> disposable baking and roasting tins one can buy at a lot of stores.
> These oven liners are flat with a little bit of a built-in rim. They
> usually come in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

If you must use them, why should it matter if the foil is flimsy.
It just sits there on the bottom of the oven, which will easily
support it. Then you just slip it out and fold it up when it is
finished.

I don't use anything on the bottom because the oven instructions
say not to. When I bake a pie I slip a sheet of foil onto the
shelf below the one the pie is on.