Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Imagawayaki - Cooking via cast iron pan

Erik wrote:

> I suppose this might be a little out there, but...
>
> I just got an imagawayaki pan from a yard sale. The previous owner
> didn't know how to make it work, and and the instructions (in japanese)
> were tossed out a while ago.
>
> What I've done so far is put it on the stove and try to make the treats
> that way (for those that don't know, this is a cast iron pan with six
> indentations in it, similar to a cupcake pan, but with the indentations
> about half as high.)
>
> I've tried cooking these things in the manner I've seen in Little Tokyo
> in Los Angeles. Pour in some batter half-way, put in some filling,
> flip over onto another half elsewhere on the pan. Didn't work. I keep
> mangling the food trying to get it out. I also tried pouring in the
> batter all the way and letting it cook, but that was no-go as well
> (mangling again). I'm thinking of putting it in the oven for a few
> minutes at a time to see if I can get better results that way, but also
> wanted to ask for any ideas or advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

Have you seasoned the pan? Cast iron needs to be well seasoned before
using to avoid mangling the food or the food just sticking to it. I'm
sure there are instructions all over the net on seasoning cast iron so
won't go into it here. Hope this helps.

George