Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Imagawayaki - Cooking via cast iron pan

Erik wrote:
> I suppose this might be a little out there, but...
>
> I just got an imagawayaki pan from a yard sale. The previous owner
> didn't know how to make it work, and and the instructions (in japanese)
> were tossed out a while ago.
>
> What I've done so far is put it on the stove and try to make the treats
> that way (for those that don't know, this is a cast iron pan with six
> indentations in it, similar to a cupcake pan, but with the indentations
> about half as high.)

Does it have a hinge that lets it fold in half making a lid?

> I've tried cooking these things in the manner I've seen in Little Tokyo
> in Los Angeles. Pour in some batter half-way, put in some filling,
> flip over onto another half elsewhere on the pan. Didn't work.

The version I've seen has you put in a little batter, then a little
filling, then top it off with more batter. Close the lid. When the
bottom is done you turn it over to finish off the top.

> I keep
> mangling the food trying to get it out. I also tried pouring in the
> batter all the way and letting it cook, but that was no-go as well
> (mangling again).

It may not be seasoned well. It should be fairly nonstick. A spray of
oil might help until you get it well seasoned. Since you got it at a
yard sale you may need to scrub it and go through the typical seasoning
process. Crumple up several paper towels to a size suitable for the
cups/indentations and moisten that with oil. Get the pan really hot.
Using tongs, wipe the cups' bottoms and sides with the oiled paper,
return to the heat for a bit. Cool and wipe again. Rinse and dry.
Repeat if necessary.

> I'm thinking of putting it in the oven for a few
> minutes at a time to see if I can get better results that way, but also
> wanted to ask for any ideas or advice.

I think they're designed for a cooktop rather than the oven and I'm
sure there must be some
tricks to getting the cakes out, but I've never used one myself.
-aem