Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] prfesser@hotmail.com is offline

Default Kitchenaid mixer paddle is staining food

yetanotherBob wrote:

> But I would also look into replacing the beaters with newer, coated
> ones, if only because of the persistent negative buzz about the effects
> of execssive intake of aluminum compounds. There's probably a reason
> why KitchenAid started coating their beaters, beyond the "attractive
> gray swirl effect" the old ones sometimes produced...

My new 6 qt KA mixer has chrome-plated aluminum beaters, but both the
4.5 and 5 qt models have the plastic-coated beaters. I prefer the
plastic-coated paddles because they're easier to clean. Am thinking of
taking the bigger beaters to a friend who does powder-coating...

On aluminum intake: to the best of my knowledge there have been
several studies, none of which have provided quantitative evidence of
negative effects re aluminum consumption. (A single antacid tablet
that contains aluminum hydroxide provides far more aluminum in the diet
than could possibly be absorbed by eating a couple of pans of cornbread
mixed with an aluminum paddle.)

Best -- Terry