Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

Here's a nice tnt recipe for cucumbers.....

Hot and Sour Cucumbers (ca 4 servings)

2 firm, slender, unwaxed cucumbers (ca 1 lb)
3 Tbsps oil
1 large glove garlic, quartered
4 dried red chile peppers
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsps sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsps white vinegar

Wash and dry cukes. Trim the ends, halve them lengthwise, and
spoon out the seeds. Cut into relatively fat julienne-type
strips.

Heat frying pan over high heat. Add oil, and reduce heat to
low. Add garlic and chiles, and stir-fry until the garlic is
light brown and the chiles are darker. Increase heat to high.
Add cukes, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until the
skin is bright green. Add soy sauce, sugar, and salt, and
stir for about 5 more seconds. Pour into heatproof dish, and
chill, stirring occasionally.

About an hour before serving time, transfer the cukes only to
a nonreactive dish. Add the vinegar, and mix well. Chill for
another hour or so, stirring occasionally.

--
Jean B.