Posted to rec.food.baking
Rina Rina is offline

Default Hard brown sugar ????

The brown sugar gets hard because it dries out. I've had no hard brown sugar
since using one of those little "sugar bears" made of ceramic. You dampen
the "bear" and place it in the container with the brown sugar and seal it.

Store your sugar in a sealed container.

To restore the hardened sugar, you need to get it moist again.
Place a slice of apple in the plastic bag with the brown sugar. Seal and
leave for a couple of days until the brown sugar softens.

or dampen a paper towel and place it in a ziplock bag with the sugar in its
container, (bag or box) and place the whole thing in the refrigerator, wait
a few days, this should do the trick.

Some say to use the microwave, but I'd worry about over heating the sugar.

Place an open bag of sugar in the microwave with a cup of water next to it.
Microwave on high (100%) for 2-3 minutes. If your microwave doesn't have a
carousel, turn the bag after each minute.

.. .