Julia Altshuler

Default what's the easiest way to remove meat from a coconut shell?

Interesting question. At first I was going to offer my slam it on the
sidewalk method, but you don't want the easiest way to remove the meat;
you want the best way to keep the shell intact. I'm native to Miami and
always remember cheap tourist souvenirs of painted coconuts. The shells
weren't broken, and they didn't seem to go bad. Hmm. How did they do
that? Maybe holes were drilled and the insides coated with some sort of
shellac? Even if you heated the whole thing so the meat drew away from
the shell, you'd still need a pretty big hole in order to get an
instrument in there that would get the meat out.

--Lia