Karen O'Mara

Default Caesar Salad Dressing Question

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> I wouldn't say battles, but I do feel it important to point out untruths to
> people who may not know they are being fed a crock. Caesar's Salad is a
> specific dish with specific ingredients by a known chef at a known
> restaurant. Any variation from the actual dish renders it
> no-longer-that-dish. Call it what else you want, but if you put anchovies or
> mayonnaise or chicken or sour cream or whatever, and it is no longer Caesar
> Salad so do not call it that. The same goes for "that pasta dish".

I respectfully disagree.

Like Walt Disney said, Disnayland is always changing. Of course,
there's the Disneyland we fondly remember, where guests dressed up in
their Sunday best to visit, or the when Disneyland had the People
Mover, or whatever we remember about the original or classic
Disneyland. But, today's Disneyland is still Disneyland.

I'm dumb at analogies, but I think Caesar salad made with anchovies
can be called a Caesar salad. It can't be called a fruit salad. I call
it a Caesar salad. I make Caesar salad with probably too many
anchovies. The original or classic recipe will always be written in
stone somewhere, but recipes evolve. The standard may evolve and only
resemble the original, with the goal of being evolving in a better
way.

Everyone puts their own spin on alfredo sauce, bolognese, Caesar,
jambalaya, brulee, or whatever, not to cause problems but to attract
return visitors.

Anyway, it's a battle to confine a classic, I think.

Karen