Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default what to serve with artichokes

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Dawn" > wrote in message
>
>>They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
>>I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also planning
>>mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several days ago.
>>
>>I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
>>frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon, kielbasa,
>>frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of work and
>>we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.
>>
>>I welcome your suggestions.
>>Dawn

Stuffed artichokes as an entree?

Make a mix of the ground pork and diced mushrooms, season with salt &
pepper and garlic, a small dice of green onion or shallots wont hurt.

Trim the bottom and tops of artichoke leaves, removing the tough outer
leaves, force open the artichoke and stuff the insides with the meat mix.

Place the stuffed artichokes on a bed of onions, carrots & celery cut
into small dice, in a braising pan just big enough to hold them all
upright. Moisten with stock, cover and cook till done, adding more
liquid if necessary.

When ready to serve, remove the chokes and keep warm while preparing a
sauce from the braising liquid. Pass the braising liquid through a fine
strainer, de fat and add a bit of white wine, reduce a bit and serve
over the chokes.

Note: the French recipe the above is adapted from uses a demi glace to
add to the braising liquid to bring the quantity up to the necessary
amount. A bit of unfiltered apple cider can be used in place of the
recommended white wine. Or make a roux and add milk or stock to form a
sauce to add to the braising liquid.
---
JL