Posted to rec.food.cooking
Little Malice Little Malice is offline

Default Christmas Scotch Cookies (aka shortbread cookies)

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
> > Little Malice wrote:

> > > Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
> > > the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
> > > something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
> > > honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
> > > but also be able to do so tactfully...

> > Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
> > shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
> > contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.

> Huh. Maybe I've been missing that because I don't especially like
> shortbread -- I think it leaves the MOST Alexawful taste in the mouth
> after eating.

I, OTOH, adore the stuff, especially my Mom's recipe, which I've
posted before. It doesn't have cornstarch in it. There may be
something to what Kathleen says about "why", but I'm not willing
to waste good butter, flour, and sugar trying it out... ;-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~