Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carla Gilliss Carla Gilliss is offline

Default Christmas Scotch Cookies (aka shortbread cookies)

This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.
This isn't a recipe that can be messed with. IF you feel like being
creative, it will have be done with the finishing of the cookies. Examples:
different shapes, candies, nuts, flavoured icing, etc...

Scotch Cookies

1/2 cup corn starch

1/2 cup icing sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup butter (softened)

Sift together corn starch, icing sugar and flour with large spoon (NOT
METAL) thoroughly blend in butter . Work with hands until soft smooth dough
forms, if necessary refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape in 1
inch balls. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet flatten
with lightly floured fork or roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into
shapes with cookie cutters. Decorate with candied cherries, coloured
sprinkles or nuts if desired. Bake 300 F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until
edges are lightly browned. Time will vary with size of cookies.