Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey limey is offline

Default Jumbo Lump Crab Prices!???

"Dawn" wrote

> Ironically, I remember the marketing campaign that was run in the Maryland
> area back in the very early 80's promoting crab and seafood. Demand had
> been way down, and they were trying to boost the local economy and keep
> fishermen employed.
>
> Dawn

In the early 80's, crops were plentiful. The Bay had huge supplies of
striped bass (locally known as rockfish), crab hauls were great and oysters
equally so. Rockfish were totally over-fished by avid fishermen (both for
a living and for pleasure) to the point where a moratorium was declared for
quite a few years to allow the fish to come back. Crabs are so popular
that demand is often greater than the supply, resulting in high prices.
Oysters have been decimated by a couple of diseases and there is a push to
introduce a Japanese strain, but nobody knows what that would do to the
native oyster. The people really hurting in all this are the watermen, who
are just trying to make a living.

Dora