Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dawn[_2_] Dawn[_2_] is offline

Default Jumbo Lump Crab Prices!???

limey wrote:

> Lump crab meat has been running about $18 here in Maryland. Backfin is
> around $14. It has been a lousy crab year, after quite a few lousy
> years. Thank over-harvesting, flooding earlier this year which inundated
> the Chesapeake Bay, and pollution.

Well, that settles the question of whether or not we'll have crab cakes
at Thanksgiving this year. I probably can't afford it.

Ironically, I remember the marketing campaign that was run in the
Maryland area back in the very early 80's promoting crab and seafood.
Demand had been way down, and they were trying to boost the local
economy and keep fishermen employed.

Dawn