Posted to rec.food.historic
Jack Campin - bogus address Jack Campin - bogus address is offline

Default Baking in the 18th Century

>> If your "tea cakes" (the word can mean several different things here)
>> could be made on a griddle, then they could well have come from the
>> poorer or more rural parts of Scotland. [...]

> Tea Cakes are soft sugar cookies (biscuits in England).

Biscuits in England and Scotland are never soft; if they don't go crunch
they're cakes. That's why I was wondering what the heck "cookie" actually
means, it seems to cover a range of things we wouldn't think of having a
common name for.

> Sources on the web say that Mrs. Dalgairns book was initially published
> in 1829. The 1840 edition is on the web
> THE QUEENıS TEA CAKES [posh recipe]

That has to have been added for 1840; no cookbook publisher would have
dared to name a recipe after Queen Caroline. And it must be an English
recipe as Queen Victoria didn't visit Scotland until 1842.

> In the historical cookbooks at:
> http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/
> Housekeeping in Old Virginia
> By Marion Fontaine Cabell Tyree
> Richmond, VA: J.W. Randolph & English, 1878
> TEA CAKES [...two very plain recipes...]

These sound much more like something that could have been made in early
19th century Scotland. Try F. Marian McNeill's "The Scots Kitchen".

> DELICATE TEA CAKES. [...expensive recipe...]

Maybe Meg Dods could have made that for Walter Scott but I doubt it
could have been regular food for anybody in Scotland.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975