Posted to rec.food.historic
Cookie Cutter Cookie Cutter is offline

Default Baking in the 18th Century

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
The Aberdeen UP
> Scots Dictionary says your sense of "tea" is of 20th century origin
> in Scotland

"Tea appears to have been introduced to Scotland by the .... wife
of ... the Duke of York ... in 1681... It was denounced by both medical
men and clergy, and its acceptance was slow; but by 1750 its conquest of
the womenfolk was complete, and wine was reserved for gentlemen.

"The introduction of afternoon tea gave a great impetus to the
national flair for baking, among both amateurs and professionals.

"'When I was a boy,' writes Henry Mackenzie (The Man of Feeling)
(b. 1745), tea was the meal of ceremony and we had fifty-odd kinds of
teabread....' "

The Scots Kitchen, Its Lore and Recipes
by F. Marian McNeill
Granada Publishing Limited
Published in 1974 by Mayflower Books Ltd
Frogmore, St Albana, Hert
Page 94

First published in Great Britain by
Blackie & Son Ltd. 1929