Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Baking in the 18th Century

Oh pshaw, on Thu 21 Sep 2006 05:20:02p, Cookie Cutter meant to say...

> In Europe (specifically Scotland) and the American colonies, where was
> baking done. Most houses would not have had ovens (would they?). Not
> every one would have bought from a baker or had one available to them.
> How was bread baking and cake baking accomplished?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cookie

There were often communal ovens or the oven of the village baker where goods
could be taken for baking. Home baking was often done in an covered iron pot
in the coals of the fire.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The right to revolt has sources deep in our
history. --William O. Douglas