Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig biig is offline

Default Cooking noodles

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Wed 13 Sep 2006 05:05:00a, Phred meant to say...
>
> > In article >, biig > wrote:
> >>
> >> When a recipe calls for 2 cups cooked noodles, how much dried should
> >>I cook?....tia...Sharon

> > Let's see, in summary the answers to date include:
> >
> > 1 cup (Barb)
> >
> > 1.5 ounces dry gives about 1 cup cooked (Wayne)
> >
> > A little over 2 cups (Dave)
> >
> > At least 3/4 cup (-L)
> >
> > Almost 2 cups (your own empirical results :-)
> >
> > HTH -- But all those bloody experts have left me a tad confused! ;-)
> >
> > Cheers, Phred.
> >

> It also will vary somewhat by the specific noodle being cooked. Also, the
> typical flat egg noodle does not expand as much as most pasta types.
>
> In the US, at least, packages list a serving or portion in dry ounces or
> grams as well as the equivalent cooked volume measurement in cups.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Everything in our favor was against us.

Wow, I didn't think my question would get such different responses.
...lol.... As it turns out, I used medium egg noodles and I cooked 2
cups of dry that cooked up to a little over 2 cups when cooked al
dente. They compacted somewhat, but the casserole turned out fine. It
looked like I had a bit too much liquid in the dish when I assembled it,
but since I don't care for al dente noodles or pasta, it got taken up to
make the noodles the way I like them. DH approved......Sharon