Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Sirloin on griddle?

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Peter A wrote:
> > aem_again says...
> > > >
> > > A griddle is just a less portable fry pan, isn't it? In both cases
> > > you're cooking with little or no oil, so if one works the other will,
> > > too. With an electric griddle you might have to take note of how
> > > quickly or slowly it heats up and cools down, and make appropriate
> > > compensations. For example, say you want to sear the steaks on both
> > > sides and then finish them to the desired doneness over low heat. And
> > > say your electric griddle is slow to cool down. Then you might do
> > > this: heat the griddle until quite hot; rub a little oil onto both
> > > sides of the steaks; sear the steaks for 90 seconds on the first side,
> > > then turn the temp down to low and flip the steaks; there will be
> > > enough heat to sear the second side while the griddle is cooling down;
> > > turn them again after 2 minutes on the second side if the griddle is
> > > still hotter than you want for the rest of the cooking. -aem
> > >

> > No electric griddle ever gets hot enough to cook a steak properly.

> Not your typical toys r us models but many certainly do get plenty hot
> enough... and you don't need to have a huge commercial griddle either,
> there are home style ones that work well... just gonna cost more than
> $29.99 at Walmarts. Most any restaurant supply emporium will have
> small sized griddles that get hotter than you need.

The problem with *any* electrically powered cooking surface is the same,
and it's serious -- you can *get* it as hot as you want, but you can't
*keep* it hot, after you throw the food on it. The absolute maximum
power you can get from a standard wall outlet is 1,500 watts, and any
ordinary gas burner can deliver way more heat power than that.

Isaac