Posted to rec.food.cooking
Litttle Malice Litttle Malice is offline

Default "Ox roast" recipe?

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/xRst.asp

> > Ox Roast - Submitted by: Jon
> > "A terrific deli-style roast beef that is chilled first for better
> > slicing. This recipe makes a really good Ox Roast sandwich."
> >
> > HTH!
> >
> > > (Normally served on white hamburger bun with pickle relish as the
> > > condiment of choice.)

> > I'm sorry, but this sandwich sounds about as appetizing as scrapple
> > to me. Although half of my heritage is PA Dutch, I have to say, I
> > don't much for the food. Well, maybe the funnel cakes... ;-)

> Thanks Jani! Yes indeed, it does help. I think I'll try the recipe
> you found but maybe on a smaller scale.
>
> The ox roast sandwiches I recall may actually have been made from roast
> beef. And I didn't describe it very well. The meat was served hot,
> and it wasn't like cold cuts. The texture was similar to pulled pork
> but much finer.
>
> You're absolutely correct that some PA Dutch recipes aren't terribly
> inviting. Perhaps I ought to leave childhood memories of food as they
> a memories. (Last time I tried a childhood favorite I was
> disillusioned. Birch beer soda pop is not delicious; it tastes like
> Pepto-Bismol! :-p)
>
> Thanks again -- Terry

You're very welcome, Terry -- I'm glad I was able to help. I'll
have to mention your feelings on birch beer to Miguel (DH), who is
a Central PA native. I've never cared much for it, I'll stick to
Diet Coke... ;-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~