Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] myrl_jeffcoat@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Ox roast" recipe?

I have a similar childhood memory. I don't think it was Ox though!
There was a little town called French Corral, which was up around Grass
Valley, California or thereabouts.

They had an old gold rush era school house, and the town old timers
would host an annual reunion.

What I recall most vividly, was they had these huge hunks of meat, that
they seasoned, wrapped in burlap, and then put in very large cast iron
dutch ovens.

They would dig a pit in the ground, fill it with hot charcoals, put the
dutch ovens with the meat on the coals, and then cover it back up with
cedar boughs, and then dirt. It would cook overnight like that. The
next day, all the town folk would bring whatever potluck pies, salads,
beans, etc. What an amazing feast it always was.

The place was very small, and everyone knew everyone. A real "Little
House on the Prairie" type of environment.

The school house burned down many many years back. . .but not my
memories of those events. I don't even know if the little town still
exists. I think it pretty much got swallowed up by the other towns
around there.

I went back through there about a decade ago - and was shocked at how
things had changed.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com