Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default help on escarole replacement.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Never having, even seen escarole AFAIK...I was wondering if I could
> substitute for it with fresh spinach leaves in the recipe below?

Escarole is sometimes labeled (or mislabled?)in stores "Curly Endive".
It isn't as easy to find it weekly, but look near the leaf lettuces.
Here is a soup I like to make with it-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chick Pea-Escarole Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Soups & Stews Italian

8 ounces diced pancetta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
14 ounces canned diced italian plum tomatoes
16 ounces canned chick peas, drained/rinsed
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 head escarole, coarsely chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pancetta and
onion and cook 2-3 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add garlic and
cook 1 minute longer.
Add tomatoes, chick peas, stock, water, escarole, salt and pepper.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, anc cook uncovered until
escarole is tender, about 20-30 minutes.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese.