Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default help on escarole replacement.

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Never having, even seen escarole AFAIK...I was wondering if I could
> substitute for it with fresh spinach leaves in the recipe below?
>
> ESCAROLE, BEAN AND SAUSAGE SOUP

Escarole leaves have bigger central ribs than spinach. Those ribs will
retain a little firmness even after the leaves themselves have wilted.
Spinach leaf ribs will become softer more quickly, so there'd be a texture
difference between the two. Jan's tip, using swiss chard, would be a better
idea. It'll also have a little bitterness, which would work better in that
soup.

Dandelion greens would probably work, too. Like escarole, their bitterness
depends on how hot the weather was where they were grown. If you've got some
in your yard, there's no reason not to use them, ASSUMING YOU DO NOT USE
LAWN CHEMICALS OF ANY KIND.