Dunter Powries

Default minced zest of 1 orange?

Charles Gifford > wrote in message
et...

> "Scott" > wrote in message
> > In article <xpkkc.1547$I%1.179493@attbi_s51>,
> > "tenplay" > wrote:
> >
> > > In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1

orange".
> > > Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

> > Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> > part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> > aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> > gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> > by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> > little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> > pretty monopurpose.
> >
> > Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
> > creates ready-minced zest.

> No way does a microplane create minced zest. Microplanes produce very

finely
> grated zest.
>
> After removing the zest into strips by any method, one then uses a knife

> mince the zest.

What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of course.

Incidentally, I got an introductory offer from 'Fine Cooking' the other day
which included a give-away recipe for Orange-Scented English Scones - using
the grated zest of one medium orange, incidentally. It looked interesting
and easy so I whipped up a batch. They were the BEST scones I've ever
eaten!

Dunty Porteous

--
"It tastes like burning..... waaaaa!!!!"
-Ralph Wiggum