Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] is offline

Default Honey Instead of Sugar

I am not especially fond of the nose of Chambourcin and that is why I decided to experiment with it. Some love Chambourcin but I find it takes several years to get rid of the "Chambourciny" (for lack of a better descriptor) nose.
"Ric" > wrote in message . com...
No clue on the ratios, sorry; but a question / concern; being a west coast winemaker, I'm not familiar with Chambourcin, but I would think that as a red varrietal, it might be peculiar to add the floral flavors that honey will add to the wine?

This year I am thinking of experimenting on a small batch of Chambourcin and using honey instead of sugar to chaptalize. I know that all honey is a little different but does anyone know the approximate ratio of honey to sugar conversion? For example, if it took two pounds of sugar, how much honey would this be?

Has anyone chaptalized with honey before and if so what were the results. I guess this would properly be called a Pyment.