Posted to rec.food.cooking
sueb sueb is offline

Default Chislic, anyone?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It sounds pretty vulgar but it was on the menu at Tailgator's Sports Bar
> & Grill here in suburban Sioux Falls, SD. I asked the waitress what the
> heck it is (menu says sautéed sirloin tips) and she described it as
> little bits of meat, deep fried, then stuck on toothpicks for dipping
> and eating. She said it is a Midwest thing. I said I am a Minnesotan.
> She back-pedaled and offered, "Maybe it's a South Dakota thing, then."
> Wikipedia agrees with -that-. <grin> Have you ever heard of it?

Oooh Ooooh - now I get to tell my chizlik story.

I have to go to Sioux Falls often on business. One time we're in a
restaurant and spot it on the menu. So, I ask the waitress what it is.
She says, "Well, usually it's beef."

The funny part is that everyone else I asked what it was had exactly
the same answer. Person after person saying, "Well, usually it's
beef." Talk about your herd mentalities. I nearly had to put a gun to
someone's head to get them to describe the dish. My mom grew up 300
miles from there in Minnesota and I'd never heard of it either.

If you're still in Sioux Falls, check out Minerva's for a big splurgy
dinner. There's also a good place downtown called the European cafe
that has Bohemian food.

Susan B.