Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Part Duex ( Birds in the grocery store!)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> store management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

When I moved into my apartment 9 years ago, I had two parakeets. I was
sitting in my bedroom reading when suddenly this bird zoomed in and flew
back out. It was like being straifed by a tiny jet fighter. WTF?! I knew
my birds were in their cage. I went to look; sure enough, a sparrow had
somehow gotten in and was perched on the top of an ivy plant up by the
ceiling. It was as confused as I was. I opened the back door and waved and
it flew out

Jill