Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Birds in the grocery store!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> store management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

I've seen news stories about it. Any place, like Sam's Club, Lowe's or
whatever where they leave the doors open, birds will roost and take shelter
and build nests on the store signs.

I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building this
crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.

Jill