Posted to alt.food.sushi
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Japanese vs Korean/Chinese Cuisine IMHO

In article >, Musashi
> wrote:

> Kimchi is good stuff.
> It's quite popular in Japan as well mostly because of the
> fairly large Korean immigrant population, but the kimchi in
> Japan, as well as stuff I've had in the US isn't overly fermented. Which is
> the way I like it.

And where is the kimchi "overly fermented"? Just in Korea. All the
Korean dining I've done has been in Korean owned-and-run restaurants in
Garden Grove, CA, in the Little Korea there. Logic says that would be
pretty much the real deal, right?

Or is that a North/South thing? I never really think of this stuff as
particularly fermented, but then I haven't really been comparing it to
anything else.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.