Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen Kathleen is offline

Default How to shell (dehull) pumpkin seeds at home?

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:07:08 -0500, Kathleen wrote:
>

>> wrote:
>> > I'm interested in growing a few pumpkins this year and to keep the
>> > seeds... I enjoy them raw, but I buy them already dehulled... is there
>> > an easy way to do that at home?

>> I roast and eat the seeds from our Halloween pumpkins shell and all.
>> The best ones come from the common orange pumpkins. The seeds from the
>> white pumpkins, and those giant pinkish things (I think they're some
>> sort of gourd rather than a true pumpkin) are too tough for this method.
>>

> I've roasted the seeds of many pumpkins over the years and they NEVER
> turn out right no matter what I do to them. So, I still prefer buying
> a package of already roasted and salted pepitas. Less work, better
> eating.

If that's what you like, why not?

I like to toss the seeds with some melted butter, garlic, cayenne
pepper, soy sauce, cajun seasoning or whatever else I happen to have on
hand. I leave some of the strings/pulp for flavor, add the seasonings
and then bake at about 300 F, stirring frequently, for as long as it
takes to get the seeds brown and crispy. The time will obviously vary
with the size of the batch and personal preference and the tasting and
testing is part of the fun.