Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bryan M. Everitt Bryan M. Everitt is offline

Default Relationship between pitted/unpitted cherries

I am getting ready to start new batch and want to use 10 pounds of fresh
cherries.. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get a hold of canned,
pitted cherries. Given that the pit constitutes a significant amount of the
weight of the cherry, what are your recommendations for the new amount I
should add? I have been able to find some info, but nothing exact. There
is a USDA guide to farm products that seems to indicate pitted cherries
weigh about 70% of unpitted cherries, which would mean 7 pounds. Does this
sound right? Thanks for any advice.

--
Bryan