Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dean G. Dean G. is offline

Default Bone In or Boneless? Best Value

wrote:
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Yes, but how much does the three pounds of boneless meat weight after
it is cooked ?

Many whole chickens are turkeys are sold with a solution of mostly salt
water added to increase the weight. Recently I have also noticed this
with other meats as well. My last package of boneless chicken breasts
had quite a bit of liquid in the package. So, even before cooking they
had lost a significant bit of weight. After cooking they had lost even
more.

Put in perspective, cheap boneless chicken breasts usually run at least
$2.00/lb (and up), while I can frequently find whole chickens for
$0.69/lb. Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but these are the things
I buy. Also, thighs are cheap, even if boneless.

For me, the best value depends on what I am cooking. For chicken
saltimboca*, I get the boneless breasts. My time is worth something,
and the bones don't get used in that dish. For chicken cacciatore, I
prefer the thighs, or whole chicken. For roasting, I like the whole
chicken. For soup, the whole chicken. For stir fries and curries, the
whole chicken, unless I am in a hurry. For chicken fajitas*, I use the
breasts. For fried chicken, the whole bird.

Aside from chicken, I like my pork chops with the bone. I'd pay more
per pound if I had to.

Dean G.

*Don't even start. I know, and I don't care. You know who you are.