Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Bone In or Boneless? Best Value

wrote:
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Bone in equals more flavor. And usually faster cooking, because the
bone acts as a heat conductor throughout the meat.

Boneless equals easy cooking and eating. Your choice.

As a rule of thumb, the larger the bird, the better buy it is because
the bone takes up about the same volume, but there is more meat on a
bigger bird. At least, that's what I've been told.

N.