Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie[_1_] D.Currie[_1_] is offline

Default Bone In or Boneless? Best Value

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Many folks will say that the meat tastes better if it's cooked with the bone
in.

And it depends on what your plans are for the bones. Usually when there's a
whole chicken or turkey around, I'm planning on soup in the near future. So
I want the bones and bits and leftovers for that.

And...I'll bet that if you started with just the meat and weighed it before
and after, you'd still see some weight loss. If you weighed the bones, it
would have given you a better idea how much was waste because of the bones,
and how much was other shrinkage.

In the end, it's really up to you which you like better, and it depends on
what kind of sales the stores are running to figure out which is most
economical.

Donna