Posted to rec.food.cooking
Woodhead Woodhead is offline

Default Good "premade" recipes for a camping trip?

"Jim" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi folks -
>
> I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
> time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
> trips).
>
> I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
> things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
> be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
> forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
> that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
> of liquid) that would be great.

Zip Lock Spanish Rice w/beef
feeds a mob of kids on a canoe trip

2 packages of mild beef jerky chopped into fine pieces
add 3 tbs beef boullion
3 tbs of dried chopped onion
2 packages of dried tomatoes chopped into coarse pieces
place in ziplock bag with jerky and boullion

In another Zip lock bag
2 cups of rice
several tbs chili powder ( or to taste)
several tbs cumin
1 tsp thyme

Preparation
In a large campfire skillet, in several cups of water, simmer
the contents of the jerkey bag until the jerky gets a little tender
and tomatoes are tender . This will take at least a half hour.
Hunger can shorten the cooking time.
A pizza pan can act as a multi-functional cover for
the skillet.

Add enough water to make 4 cups of liquid in the skillet
and add the contents of the rice bag. Cover and dimmer
until the liquid is absorbed in the rice. Fluff up the mixture
and places slices of Velveeta (doesn't require refridgeration)
on top to cover the rice. Replace cover for a couple of minutes
untill cheese is melted. Serve

Jim