Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Droopy Droopy is offline

Default Blackberry port and how to extract juices

I made a blueberry port earlier this year. My suggestions would be to
first use twice as much fruit per gallon as you would for a normal
fruit wine (Jack keller reccomends 6 lbs per gallon instead of 10). Be
carefull though. In my recipie I used fresh fruit for both the
blueberry and elderberry and it became hard to get enough fruit per
gallon to make the wine (when considering the additions of sugar
needed)

second, add sugar to the fermentation to top out natural alcohol
production. You will hankyour self later when you only have to add
half a liter of brandy instead of 4 liters of brandy.

Use brandy. Do not use unflavored spirit, like everclear. It boosts
the alcohol enough, but it tends to make the wine taste like a mixed
drink instead of a port. Brandy has the je ne se quois needed to make
it taste right. Use a pearsons square to determine how much to add.

You may think that you do not want the tannin in there. But with all
that alcohol and sugar, you will be glad if you let some the the tannin
get extracted. Otherwise you may find the wine tastinig a bit insipid.

I would let the fruit ferment out fairly well and then just set the
fruit bag in a colander and lightly press out the remaining juice.
Well actually i would press it out with a sausage press, but I have
that luxury.