Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

Default Oven 'barbecued' memphis style dry ribs - question

Please don't flame me, I just don't have the WSM ready to go yet, but
had a hankerin' for some oven "bbq" ribs. I have a question about
temperature.

Please know that I like my pork ribs on the dry/crunchy/slightly
overcooked side with a crunchy, even maybe slightly burnt finish,
especially on the bone/membrane side. Again, please don't flame me for
my preference.

I have 2 racks of the St. Louis style ribs well rubbed with my
favorite rub, which includes the following:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
4 tbsp light brown sugar
Touch of liquid smoke rubbed into both sides of the ribs before the
dry rub goes on (I know, I know, but it's just a touch).

I bake the ribs in a convection oven, on a middle rack with good
drainage, so the ribs don't steam in juice. Like I said, I like 'em
dry and a bit crunchy on the top and bottom.

The question relates to temp and cooking times. Is it best to cook the
ribs at a lower temp (320) initially, and them raise the temp near the
end to finish them off, or, is it better to keep a steady temp all the
way through and just wait for then to dry and crisp?

BTW, is use 320 for the bulk of the cooking because sugar begins to
melt and burn at 325.

What temp and timing would you recommend for what I like?