Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

In article <1tRbg.947$FQ4.358@trndny06>,
"Mordechai Housman" > wrote:

> I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
> my mother used to make it.
>
> It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
> delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> My problem is with the filling. I use:
>
> Two or three fresh apples
> Apple pie filling from a can
> Sugar
> Corn starch.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mordechai Housman

Is this your mom's recipe, Moerdechai? If so and you want to pretty
much stick with it, I would eliminate the cornstarch. And probably
most of the sugar (the canned apple pie *filling* is ready to pour into
a shell and bake - it has the sugar and thickener already). If you are
using *canned apples FOR pie filling*, well, that's a different bird and
I think you need a better recipe. No offense intended. Following is a
filling recipe; if you need a recipe for pie dough, I've got one of
those, too. "-)
Good luck.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

The Best Apple Pie

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 1/2 # Granny Smith apples peeled, quartered,
cored, and cut into 3/8² slices (5-6
cups)
3/4 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons
for sprinkling on dough top
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Pinch salt
Pie Dough for a double crust 8- or 9-inch
pie
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter cut into small
pieces

Toss apples and next 4 ingredients in large bowl; let stand until apples
soften and shrink a bit, no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. (this step is
supposed to keep a gap from forming between the top crust and the
apples. Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 400. (To
keep the bottom crust crisp, author recommends using a glass pan and
baking the pie near the bottom of the oven at a relatively hot
temperature; this heats the bottom of the pie at a slightly faster rate
than the rest, so it cooks through before the top burns. Roll larger
dough disk on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle, about
1/8² thick. Transfer dough to 9-inch Pyrex pie pan, leaving dough that
overhangs lip of pan in place. Turn apple mixture, including juices,
into shell; scatter butter pieces over apples.

Roll smaller dough disk on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch
circle. Lay it over top of pie. Trim top and bottom dough edges to 1/4
inch beyond pan lip. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself that that
folder edge is flush with pan lip. Flute dough in your own fashion, or
press with fork tines to seal. Cut 4 slits at right angles on dough top
to allow steam to escape; sprinkle with remaining sugar.

Set pie on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until light brown, about 30
minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking
until crust is a rich golden brown and apples can be easily pierced with
a knife, about 30 minutes longer. If pie browns before it bakes
through, cover top with foil and continue baking. Transfer pie to a
wire rack; cool for at least 1 hour before serving.

Pie is best when consumed within a few hours of baking, but can be
stored at room temperature, covered by an inverted bowl, for a day or
two.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Page 8, Cook¹s Illustrated magazine, September/October
1994. Mercy! My pies were made with McIntosh/Wealthy/Sweet Sixteen
apples in varying degrees of combination. Oh, my!

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/14/2006, Visit #17 to Mount