Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

wrote on 20 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mordechai Housman wrote:
> > I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the

way
> > my mother used to make it.
> >
> > It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
> > delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
> >
> > My problem is with the filling. I use:
> >
> > Two or three fresh apples
> > Apple pie filling from a can
> > Sugar
> > Corn starch.
> >
> > What might I be doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Mordechai Housman

For a "Mom Style" Apple Pie you gotta use granny smith apples. In
the 50's and 60's Granny's were the baking apple of choice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Country Apple Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Pies

pastry for double crust 9 inch pie
6 cups peeled sliced cooking apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Place in a 9 inch pie plate; set aside.

Combine apples and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Combine sugars,
flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing well. Spoon over apple mix, tossing
gently. Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell, and dot with butter.

Roll remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness; transfer to top of pie. Trim
off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under and flute. Cut slits in
top crust for steam to escape. Cover edges of pastry with strips of
aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake at 450°F for 15
minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35 minutes.

Makes one 9 inch pie

Source:
"The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987, 8487-0709-5"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1071 Calories; 23g Fat (19.1%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 221g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 62mg
Cholesterol; 279mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 4 1/2
Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
-Alan