Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini[_2_] kilikini[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Mordechai wrote:
>
> > I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way

my
> > mother used to make it.
> >
> > It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
> > delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
> >
> > My problem is with the filling. I use:
> >
> > Two or three fresh apples
> > Apple pie filling from a can
> > Sugar
> > Corn starch.
> >
> > What might I be doing wrong?

> I'm guessing that the apples are the problem. If the apples you buy are

dry
> and mealy, they won't have any juice to contribute to the filling.
>
> It's gotten REALLY difficult to find good apples nowadays.

Isn't that the truth! I quit buying apples because they're not as good as
they were when I was a kid! I remember being able to bite off a huge chunk
of a red delicious. Now, they're all grainy and mushy and leave kind of a
sour taste on your tongue. I'll bet Bob's correct in saying it's the
apples.

kili