Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fava bean substitute?

"Chibiabos" > wrote in message
> In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> > wrote:
>
>> "Frank Warner" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
>> > eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.
>> >
>> > The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
>> > dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
>> > beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
>> > wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
>> > find favas in the morning.
>> >
>> > -Frank

>> It might help to know the details of the dish, Frank. Fava beans are
>> shaped
>> like limas, with a similar consistency inside, but darker flavor.

> Right. Bon Appetit magazine, June 2006, Page 124. Tuna & Fava Crostini.
> The favas are blanched, skinned, oiled, and 3 or so are placed atop a
> tuna mixture spread on toasted baguette slices.
>
> -Frank

I've had that recipe in my file for years - they published it back in the
1990s, too. Tough substitution. Think of a large lima bean. Favas are 2-3
times that size, and medium-brown in color. So much for the visual. I'd say
to hell with color, and go with one of the canned white beans, the bigger,
the better. Maybe simmer them with the canning liquid very briefly with
something to darken the flavor. A little bit of oregano, I think. You might
also find canned fava beans, by the way.