Scott

Default How long is oil good for?

In article >,
Default > wrote:

> I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french fries... how long
> should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more a function of use or time? Is
> there an easy way to tell when the oil needs to be changed?

Summary of info from "How to Read a French Fry":

avoid oxygen, light, and moisture--store in the smallest container it'll
fit in, and in a cool, dark place.

Discard when the smoke point drops to close to the frying temperature,
or when it develops off-odors, or becomes noticeably darker than unused
oil.

The book also recommends adding a tablespoon of old (not rancid) oil to
each cup of new--saying that brand-new oil doesn't cook as well as oil
that's broken in a little.

please mail OT responses only