Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "hob" > wrote in message

almost

> >> The wholesale price has done no such thing. What do you mean by "looks
> >> like"??? What were you looking at when you came up with your 100%
> >> figure?
> >>

> > I paid $.99 for 5 lb bag of sugar on sale late last fall and the 4 lb
> > bags
> > are $1.69 on sale a few days ago.
> > ( First, 5 lb just fills my canister and I never buy 10 lb bags, and
> > second, I made candy for a group around Christmas that took five pounds

of
> > sugar and I needed to submit the costs.)
> >
> > that's .20 a lb then vs .42 a lb now.
> >
> > Ok, so it's up 110%. Close enough.
> >

> First, a question: How old are you?

Old enough to have been a CEO twice and been in 'Nam, kid.

> Now, some data. Right now, unless a store negotiates a hot deal with

Domino
> or C&H, they're paying about $2.00 for a 5 lb bag of sugar. This price has
> been the same, give or take a quarter, for the past year.

Yes, some data - real data, not some BS facts pulled out of some fading
memory bank.

Sugar was $2.32 wholesale last September (5 lbs, per wholesaler's book.)
On sale loss leader $.99.

Today's wholesale price for a 4 lb bag - $ 2.96. On sale loss leader, $
1.69.
( I just looked in "the book" for April, you know kid, the one the
wholesaler gives the retailer, to get you an accurate price.)

Try some real facts on for size, kid. It'll give you a real perspective.

The price of refined sugar has jumped over 60% in the past six months.

-----from the USDA

refined sugar price November 2005 - 13.10
refined sugar price April 2006 - 21.35

in the last six months, price of refined is up 63%

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table02.xls

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table03.xls

> Another question: Why do you think your store occasionally sells these

$2.00