Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "hob" > wrote in message
> >I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> > bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
> > PER
> > BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> > Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
> > rather
> > than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> > weight
> >
> > I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> > any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> > displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old

standards"
> > like sugar make that change?
> >
> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> > 100%
> > over last year.)

> It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:
>
> 4-lb. bag
> 4-lb. New Plastic Canister
> 5-lb. bag
>
> The unit price *has* gone up some, but that's due to freight more than any
> other factor.

No, you are wrong. The price of sugar has jumped significantly.

from the USDA

refined sugar price November 2005 - 13.10
refined sugar price April 2006 -21.35

in the last six months, price of refined is up 63%

--------

from the USDA

raw sugar price, November 2005 -12.86
raw sugar price, April 2006 -18.21

in the last six months, price of raw is up 42%

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table02.xls

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table03.xls