Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"hob" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "hob" > wrote in message
>>
>> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
>> > 100%
>> > over last year.)

>> The wholesale price has done no such thing. What do you mean by "looks
>> like"??? What were you looking at when you came up with your 100%
>> figure?
>>

> I paid $.99 for 5 lb bag of sugar on sale late last fall and the 4 lb
> bags
> are $1.69 on sale a few days ago.
> ( First, 5 lb just fills my canister and I never buy 10 lb bags, and
> second, I made candy for a group around Christmas that took five pounds of
> sugar and I needed to submit the costs.)
>
> that's .20 a lb then vs .42 a lb now.
>
> Ok, so it's up 110%. Close enough.

First, a question: How old are you?

Now, some data. Right now, unless a store negotiates a hot deal with Domino
or C&H, they're paying about $2.00 for a 5 lb bag of sugar. This price has
been the same, give or take a quarter, for the past year.

Another question: Why do you think your store occasionally sells these $2.00
bags of sugar for $0.99?