Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default How to cook "Flanken" Cross-Cut Ribs

jj - rfc wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
>> cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
>> rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
>> until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
>> tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.
>>
>> These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
>> spicy rub.

> The only way I've had these is what Mom called "New England Boiled
> Dinner" -- short ribs, carrots, cabbage and potatoes cooked in a
> big pot of water. But I don't think that would work so well with
> pre-seasoned ribs...

To me "New England Boiled Dinner" involves beef brisket, not short ribs, but
hey, to each their own. For these, since we don't know what the seasonings
are, I'd just bake them (covered) with a little liquid to keep them moist,
on low until tender. If they were plain flanken (short) ribs, I have an
Emeril (!) recipe for short-rib bourbon stew that might work, but not with
an unknown seasoning rub on them.

Jill